If you have a family and are looking for a new home in the Pearland, TX area, one of the biggest things to consider is the school district. If you find a home you love but come to learn that the schools in the area have low test scores and the teachers aren’t happy or aren’t certified, then you may end up starting the home search all over again.
Cathy Spacek, a realtor in Houston and Pearland, wants every client she works with to not only find that perfect house, but a perfect school for their children. Here is some information about a few elementary, middle, and high schools in the Pearland area.
- Silvercrest: Located on Southwyck Parkway, Silvercrest is southeast of Freeway 288 and Broadway St. The school has kindergarten through fourth grade classes and a variety of specials, including art, music, ESL, speech, and help for students with dyslexia. The school scored above the state average for test scores in math (88 percent), reading (80 percent), and writing (75 percent). Silvercrest offers a free and reduced lunch program, bus routes, and an emergency text message service.
- Magnolia: Located on Magnolia Street, the school is just west of South Main St. or Freeway 35 and is also kindergarten through fourth grade. They offer special classes including ESL, speech, life skills, and they have bilingual aides. The school also scored above state average in reading (66 percent), math (71 percent), and writing (52 percent). The teacher to student ratio is 1:15.
- Shadycrest: Located on 2405 Shadybend, the school is just east of South Main St. It is kindergarten through fourth grade with auxiliary classes, including ESL, BSI, life skills, and speech. The elementary school scored higher than state average in math (71 percent), reading (67 percent), and writing (55 percent). The school is a majority white with 63 percent and there is a 1:17 teacher to student ratio.
- Pearland J H West: Located on 2337 North Galveston Ave., this school is northeast of North Main St. and E Broadway St. The fifth through eighth grade school has electives including band, BSI, theater, video, and more. The school scored above the state average in reading (46 percent), math (49 percent), and science (71 percent). There is a 17:1 ratio of student to teachers.
- Berry Miller J High School: This seventh through eighth grade school is located on 3301 Manvel Road, which is north of Magnolia St. The school has several clubs and activities, including chess and debate club, national junior honor society, robotics, orchestra, and more. Your child can look forward to being a Bobcat with athletics such as football, volleyball, basketball, track, and more. The school scored higher than state average in reading (73 percent), math (66 percent), and writing (72 percent).
- Rogers Middle School: This school includes grades five through six and is located on 3121 Manvel Road. The school has various clubs, including book and art club, geography bee, Christians in the youth, student council, and many more. There are also several athletic clubs. The school scored higher than state average in math (75 percent), reading (66 percent), and science (67 percent).
- Glenda Dawson: This school is located on 2050 Cullen Boulevard, which is east of South Freeway 288 and north of Hughes Ranch Rd. The public school includes grades nine through 12. Glenda Dawson has AP programs, TSI testing, and an Eagle Hour, which allows students to spend an hour eating lunch or attending tutorials or clubs. Clubs include Asian culture club, explorers club, food and travel club, student council, and more. The high school has a 99 percent graduation rate and scored higher than state average in English, English 2, and Biology 1.
- Pearland: The ninth through 12th grade high school is located on 3775 South Main St., just north of Bailey Rd. The school has nearly 3,000 students and has AP programs, and several clubs, activities, and athletics. The school has a 99 percent graduation rate and scored higher than state average in English, English 2, and Biology 1.
- Shadow Creek High School: This is part of the Alvin School District and is located on 11850 Broadway, west of South Freeway 288. Academics include the standard classes, as well as ESL, advanced academics, foreign language, and more. Athletics include golf, soccer, track, softball, football, baseball, and more. The school scored higher than state average in English (51 percent), Biology 1 (68 percent), and English 2 (50 percent).
Contact realtor Cathy Spacek to learn more about the Pearland area, including grocery shopping, parks, and more. We can’t wait to help you find your perfect home and a great school for your kids.